Did you know that an estimated 30% of all business emails are aimed at clarifying miscommunication generated from the other 70%? As more and more organizations come to this realization, business writing skills training has become a staple for capability development initiatives.
This is a comprehensive business writing workshop that hones the bedrock business writing skills required of every businessperson. Participants will learn to convey complex ideas clearly and write correct and engaging documents in less time
Who Should Attend?
All individuals operating in a business setting with a need to express themselves effectively in writing. The course has been developed primarily for English second language speakers who need to develop their written communication. However, the workshop has been utilized successfully for English first language speakers as well.
On attending this Business Writing Skills training course, participants will learn how to:
- Provide an introduction to business writing skills as they relate to the drafting of emails, memos and business letters.
- Describe and apply structuring and business writing techniques designed to cater for the modern business environment.
- Emphasize the use of simple, clear and positive language in addressing day to day business affairs.
- Apply the fundamental pillars of business writing for achieving better results
- Practice basic techniques for writing effective emails, letters and memos
- Demonstrate professionalism by writing in a clear, specific and positive manner
- Deliver solid conclusions through organized structure and flow
- Use practical and modern methods for powerful business writing
Module 1: Introduction to business writing
- Definitions of business writing
- Setting emails, letters and memos in context
- 6 tips for writing effectively
- Recognizing the hallmarks of effective writers
- Applying modern day business writing techniques
Module 2: Characteristics of business writing
- Writing considerations
- Guidelines for sentences
- 7 traits of organized writing
- Setting a purpose
- Investigating the audience
- Organizing content to match your audience
- Using clear, specific and positive writing
- Developing your business writing style
- Using visual aids powerfully
- Complementing writing with tables and charts
Module 3: Writing strategy
- Organizing thoughts
- Pyramid structuring
- Developing a compelling storyboard
- 3 parts to a message
- Achieving flow through effective transitioning
- Applying pyramid structuring to your writing
- Making the most of your facts
- Deductive reasoning
- Abductive reasoning
- Building a compelling introduction
Module 4: Big tips on writing
- Applying George Orwell’s 5 rules for effective writing
- Promoting clarity in writing
- Avoiding miscommunication
- Managing and delivering expectations
- Responding to different email scenarios
- Understanding different reader personalities
Module 5: Using powerful language
- Writing considerations
- Using visual aids
- 7 tips for writing effectively
- Using power words to influence your audience
- Presentations: less is more
- Using visual aids effectively
- Managing a checklist for your writing
- Going the last inch
- How to be a successful business writer
Module 6: Practical Effective Electronic Communication
- Writing Effective Business E-Mails.
- Writing Effective Business Letter.
- Writing Effective Business Proposal.
- Write Effective Instant Message.
- Write Effective Memo.